Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Finding Our Way Again by Brian McLaren

This book is not what I would define as an "easy read". It required constant attention and persistent re-reading to keep everything in focus. Nonetheless, it gave insight, experience, and background. I was especially interested in Part 3: Ancient. In the author's three point sections of Katharsis, Fotosis and Theosis, I found much on which to reflect.

Katharsis (Via Purgativa), as the author explains "is the gate through which we enter the ancient way and its practices." The use of the symbol of the abbess adds a provocative dimension to the section. In this katharsis, the author urges all to purge the present of all the things that have accumulated in one's present spiritual experience and study the ancient way and its practices. This includes the way one lives, worships, works, pleasures ones self, all elements of one's life. I especially pondered the words: "Purgation has everything to do with practice, not penance." These simple words gave me a new view of this basic, major step for the person who is ready and able to confront himself and go from there.

It was easy to guess what the next step was to be about by simply looking at the name of the process: Fotosis (Via Illuminativa)--Once a purging has been done, light must make sight possible. Or, to use a more modern vernacular, after the blinders are off, one must deal with the blinding light. The author makes a wonderful point that "Light makes sight possible, and the spiritual life is, in many ways, about seeing." The Scripture of Matthew 6:22-23 came alive to me after that reading.

One of the most thought-provoking sentences in the book to me was "One learns about light not just by being in its presence, but also by experiencing its absence." The comments in this section of the author must be contemplated again and again by the reader. As I went back through the book, I read again lines and phases that I underlined and I remembered, again, their impact. I think you will find the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment