Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday, August 22. 2010

Today is Sunday and I am through with the crossword puzzle already at 8:08 a.m. I am going to the park (short time on hot day) with Bev Hickam for Mason Oliver's birthday (Debbie's grandson) and then we are going to the movie (Eat, Love and Pray) and out to dinner. I am taking most of the day off because I CAN.

I caught up on my book and did all I can do until Liz comes tomorrow. When she does, I will be in a world of hurt. I did studying for seminary and I have no assignment this week for I am analyzing Scriptures like mad to get it into my mind. You take the Scripture, find pronouns, comparisons, figures of speech, repetitions, verbs, conjunctions, contrasts and find a much deeper meaning in the words. It truly works although it is a little like being in Miss Henry's grammar class.

Miss Mattie Henry taught me grammar and writing for three years--6, 7, 8 grades in Eugene Field School. She had her ways--when she got mad, one eye turned red and the other turned green but she made a believer out of everyone. There were people who said they were afraid of her and there were people who said they were not. The ones in the second category were, to a person, liars. I met Mark Scully for the first time when he came to visit Miss Henry in the classroom. That was a long time ago but I told the story when I gave the eulogy at Dr. Scully's funeral. I wrote a eulogy for Miss Henry in the Signal when she died. I wish I had a copy so I could read it again.

I will enjoy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment